Friday, March 22, 2013

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain


Hi everyone! I meant to put this up a couple of days ago, but that obviously was a fail. The eleventh book is The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain. I fell in love with Twain and his work when I had to do a report in second grade over a historical figure. (something like that...it's been so long ago) Of course, second grade is sort of too young to understand his work. The one thing that I really enjoy about The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is how Twain incorporates the vernacular of the time period. I will tell you it's challenging to read at points, especially when Jim, the runaway slave, is speaking. Twain was openly against slavery, and he combines his views about that topic throughout the story. The thing about that is that he did it in a way that you wouldn't really pick up on it quickly. I know this novel is very controversial, but you need to keep in mind that this was the lifestyle and speech during that time period. It really opened my eyes to how far our world and society has come. I rated this classic four out of five. It definitely is a book that everybody should read. What do you think of this American classic? Leave a comment below :)

No comments:

Post a Comment