Thursday, June 18, 2015

Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History by Art Spiegelman

Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History

Author: Art Spiegelman 
Average Rating: 4.34/5.0
Personal Rating: 4.0/5.0
Page Count: 159
Publisher: Pantheon Books
Release Date: 1 November 1991


According to Goodreads:

A story of a Jewish survivor of Hitler's Europe and his son, a cartoonist who tries to come to terms with his father's story and history itself.

Purchase Links:


My Opinion:

I have heard quite a bit about Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History throughout the years I have been following booktube channels and book blogs. I finally got around to picking it up from the library to see why this is considered to such a great telling of the experiences that many had to endure during what we know as the Holocaust. 

After reading the comic-like designed book, I can agree with the majority that Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History is a piece of work that needs to be read by everyone. It successfully portrays the struggles and fears the Jews had to face every single day. They never knew if the day they woke up would be their last day of their life at home or if the day would be the day they would be sent to Auschwitz to be murdered. They had the constant fear of being separated from loved ones with no chance of ever seeing them again on this earth.

I highly recommend Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History to everyone of all ages. The book works for readers of all types, because it isn't the typical chapter book. So, if you are someone who is intimidated by long chapter books, but you want to read an individual account of what happened pick this up! The pictures and comments between father and son as the father tells his story makes the story entertaining and eye opening. You see how the Holocaust had lasting effects on the survivors, and how their family (current and future) were impacted. 








2 comments:

  1. Great review. I’ve never read a graphic novel before, but I really want to read this one.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm not a big fan of graphic novels, but I wanted to see why this one was talked about so much, and I wasn't disappointed. I enjoy reading anything that is historical, so I thought the style of this one would be a fun twist compared to the novels. I hope you do!

      Delete