Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Finding Mr. Brightside ARC Review

Finding Mr. Brightside

Author: Jay Clark
Average Rating: 3.72/5.0
Personal Rating: 3.5/5.0
Page Count: 224
Finished Reading: April 
Published: 24 March 2015


According to Goodreads:

Abram and Juliette know each other. They’ve lived down the street from each other their whole lives. But they don’t really know each other—at least, not until Juliette’s mom and Abram’s dad have a torrid affair that culminates in a deadly car crash. Sharing the same subdivision is uncomfortable, to say the least. They don’t speak.

Fast-forward to the neighborhood pharmacy, a few months later. Abram decides to say hello. Then he decides to invite her to Taco Bell. To her surprise as well as his, she agrees. And the real love story begins.

My Opinion:

I received a review copy from Franklin Public Relations, but in no way does that impact my opinion on this novel. 

I was overcome with excitement when I received this novel, because of all the high praise it was receiving. I wanted to see why the novel was so great for myself. 

I flew through the novel, but nothing really happened. We find out a little bit about the affair between Abram's father and Juliette's mother, but nothing jaw dropping. There were brief mentions about their feelings of their parents' affair, but they were pretty much disconnected. Abram and Juliette didn't show any grief over the death of their parents. I know it had been a year since the car crash, but I feel like there would be some lingering sadness. 

The book centers around Abram and Juliette's budding relationship. We follow along as Juliette helps Abram stop taking pills and vice versa. Abram also helps Juliette to feel other emotions rather than just being cold. That's the book. 

The chapters were rather short, so it made reading the book fly by. There really weren't any scenes that sent my heart racing or brought tears to my eyes. The book is a simple and sweet concept. I would definitely recommend this book for anyone who is in search of something that is light and not complex. 



2 comments:

  1. This seems like a decent book that is easy to read but I don't think I am going to pick it up. I know I am going to want more to happen that will be shocking or intriguing, and this doesn't seem to have it for me. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one was definitely an easy read. There wasn't any confusing plot lines or a long list of characters to keep straight. Very understandable! Thank you!

      Delete