Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Trust Me, I'm Lying Review

Trust Me, I'm Lying

Author: Mary Elizabeth Summer
Average Rating: 3.67/5.0
Personal Rating: 4.0/5.0
Page Count: 336
Finished Reading: February 
Published: 14 October 2014


According to Goodreads:

Julep Dupree tells lies. A lot of them. She’s a con artist, a master of disguise, and a sophomore at Chicago’s swanky St. Agatha High, where her father, an old-school grifter with a weakness for the ponies, sends her to so she can learn to mingle with the upper crust. For extra spending money Julep doesn’t rely on her dad—she runs petty scams for her classmates while dodging the dean of students and maintaining an A+ (okay, A-) average.

But when she comes home one day to a ransacked apartment and her father gone, Julep’s carefully laid plans for an expenses-paid golden ticket to Yale start to unravel. Even with help from St. Agatha’s resident Prince Charming, Tyler Richland, and her loyal hacker sidekick, Sam, Julep struggles to trace her dad’s trail of clues through a maze of creepy stalkers, hit attempts, family secrets, and worse, the threat of foster care. With everything she has at stake, Julep’s in way over her head . . . but that’s not going to stop her from using every trick in the book to find her dad before his mark finds her. Because that would be
criminal.

My opinion:

Right off the bat I'm going to tell all of you that this novel isn't the greatest novels that involve spy like qualities. The book was riveting enough for me to keep turning the pages to find out what would happen next I'll give it that. So...why are you complaining?

I'm not exactly complaining. I would say I'm more irritated with the book, which kept me from giving it five stars. I absolutely LOVED the idea of Tyler, but the whole betrayal scene seemed flat to me. I felt like the author could have really dramatized or amp up the scene, but I felt zero emotion when the scene played out. Personally, I felt like there was a great opportunity missed to grab the reader's attention. (To counter this irritation, the scene almost right after this one still has my heart hurting). I also wasn't too fond of Julep, the main character, as the plot progresses. I know the author was trying to show the reader how much Julep was head over heals for Tyler, but in the process I thought that Julep's tough, confident demeanor was ruined. I couldn't take her seriously when she switched back to that demeanor. 

Those were the biggest irritations out of the novel. If that's all I have to be irritated about then I'd say that's a pretty good book we have on our hands right here. Julep's best friend, Sam, is the one constant thing that kept me reading the book. He's intelligent, protective, gentle, funny, sarcastic...need I go on? This novel is one book out of a trilogy, but I don't think I'll be reading the other ones anytime soon. Trust Me, I'm Lying didn't leave me with any unknown details or wanting more of something. I would recommend Trust Me, I'm Lying to any of you who are searching for young adult novels that involve the mob, spies, and undercover investigation type aspects.  


2 comments:

  1. This one sounds good, but I haven't heard the best things about it. After reading your review, I think I'll pass on it.
    -Jon from Bookish Antics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are definitely better books out there, but I don't regret reading it. I think the reason I rated the book so high was because the concept was so different from all the other books I have been recently reading.

      Delete